Wednesday, June 11, 2014

My friend Eugene the Eukaryote

Eugene looked very different than me from day one. He lacked a peptidoglycan. Yet it seemed that he had more in life. He had a nucleus. He had a car. He had membrane-bound organelles. But yet my late grandfather told me about the endosymbiosis theory. It's people like Eugene that needs to know about endosymbiosis.

Let's recap endosymbiosis. There are reasons why it is regarded to be something that actually happened.
- Eugene's organelle membrane has porins
- Eugene's mitochondria contains a bacterial-type 16S rRNA
- Eugene's mitochondria can perform binary fission.

So as I looked at Eugene for the very last time on his apoptotic bed (He was infected by this virus), I knew a part of me was living inside him.

Then he went to lysis.

Poor old Eugene and his mitochondria. Yet he doesn't have peptidoglycan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there commenter!

Please state whether you are:
- Gram Postive/Negative
- Catalase Positive/Negative
- A Bacillus
- Missing a flagellum

PLEASE NO COMMENTS ABOUT YOUR PORINS.